|Name||The Picture of Subashiri , the East Gate of Mt. Fuji|
|Use||Fan picture, 23.7×30.0 cm|
|Utagawa Hiroshige II
The production date: 1861 (Bunkyu 1)
The scene of people gathered in front of the Torii gate of Sengen Shrine at the Subashiri gate of Mt. Fuji, located at the right east side of the Mt. Fuji is illustrated. During the Edo period, Mt.Fuji’s climbing season is limited from the old calendar’s June 1 (early July) to July 20 (late August) The calendar was based on the cycles of the lunar phases and used until the Meiji period (The month starts with the new moon.). Therefore, Mt. Fuji was crowded with many climbers during this period. The illustrated figures are the guides of the mountain sendatsu, who wear white outfits, straw hats and rosaries. They are about to guide the climbers. Some people carry the boxes strapped on their back and the gosampuku (three holy scrolls) are in it. Gosampuku are the three hanging scrolls that are displayed at the shrine when people enshrine god after climbing Mt. Fuji. The three scrolls consisted of Ominuki, the scroll that expresses the world view of Fuji Shinkou (A belief that treats Mt. Fuji as an embodiment of god), a portrait of a deity Konohana Sakuya Hime no Mikoto enshrined at the Sengen Shrine, and the other deity Komitake’s portrait.